Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Reviews and view: Part 1a - 0001

Okay, here are a few reviews. Sorry there aren't more, and sorry it's taken me so long, and just sorry. Also, I fixed a few things in my songs and reuploaded them for anyone who hasn't listened to them yet. Find them at http://toddkevin.bandcamp.com/

Onto the reviews!!

AUTUMN BLUFF - Lovesick Lullaby
Great track. Very polished, very accessible, very sexy. Really feeling that guitar. Mostly though, all the vocal tracks and vocal reverb and vocal panning are all excellent. I even disagree with Dan in that the occasional autotune artifacts are fine and fit the style completely. The only thing I would say production wise is maybe lose that wide-panned background sound during the chorus that is creating what on first listen sounds like crazy bad connection pops. Oh, also, unlike some others, I'm a huge fan of the vulgarity. Keep it coming.
FAV LINE: "... this beat and how I write it. Like when I put it down and when I lick that clit and bite it."

CLOCK SYSTEME - Droides
Stellar concept with all the voices and typing sounds. Would have easily been my favorite track from the "Hackers" soundtrack. Did anyone see that movie? Angelina Jolie was hot in it. Anyways, the dialogue throughout is engaging and humorous. Nothing beats computers having sex with each other. All the different variations really grabbed my attention. Really got into at 4:37 with the distortion. Loved the funkyness at 7:08, and the comedown starting at 10:13 with all its wackiness and effects. I could see parts of this on a Flaming Lips album. Overall, great job of keeping it fun and interesting throughout the whole piece. Not an easy task.
FAV LINE: "You filled my castle full of mischief."

FIVE MINUTE FANCLUB - TONGUE-TIED & TWISTED AND OTHER FAVOURITES
Okay, let me just say I really like this album. It's solid in construction, simple and understated, darling and fun. I've been into this kind of music a lot recently and I've think you've got some really good tunes here. "From the bottom of a whiskey bottle" is delightful. Occasionally on this album the behind-the-beat lyrics are a little distracting, but on this song they fit perfectly, due mainly to the fact that it makes you sound a bit drunk. The whistling solo is also perfect bc I'm a fan of the ideology that if you can't get it perfect then you must destroy it. Same with the lil hiccup cuts at 2:00, 2:55 and elsewhere, which I can only assume is your attempt at a slight skip in the record (or they're just sloppy copy and paste cuts, either way, nice.) Let's see, overall, love me some banjo, some slightly off-color vocals, some found percussion, and some down-home soulful sentiments. My only other critiques are that the guitar part in Mary-Ann sounds way too much like Bright Eyes "At the bottom of everything" and that the low BG vocals on "Tongue-Tied" is way too loud. Other than that, hell of a job, son.
FAV TRACK: "The Secrets That They Keep"

LOBSTER SHANTY & THE CRAB RANGOONS - Tremendous
One word: tremendous. These songs are so well done, so tight, and so damn funky. Also, crab rangoons are delicious. Umm, let see, highlights. The choruses here, while they could occasionally use a little variation every know and again, are catchy as all get-out. As with any good funk tune, the bass and drums here hit the spot just right. Then they blow it up. All in a good way. Overall, I'd say you've got a career here if and when funk makes its triumphant return. Bootsy Collins, get the funk out the way, Lobster Shanty is in town, bitches!
FAV TRACK: "Mr. Porcupine"

Sorry, I'm super slow at this. More to come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment