Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Reflections On Tiresome Speed Composition

After taking an extra day to mix, and then another to correct a botched uploading attempt, Record Time VII is finally in the bag and I'm generally pleased with the results of "Jejune Oeuvre," my 37 minute opus to mental health problems. This is only my third time participating, 2nd time finishing. Because sometimes I'm a punk.

This time around I bit off way more than I could chew, settling on the cheery concept of murder, suicide, and the absence of God, hopefully set off by the juxtaposition of dark subject matter against slightly upbeat pop music. And before you go putting me on suicide watch, just know that the genesis for all the mental health and suicide songs came about in part b/c of Nevermind's 20th anniversary and me recently watching Mel Gibson's "The Beaver." Which I recommend. And lets be honest, as musicians, we all have to be a little intrigued by the subject considering self destruction took some of the greats. Also, screw you, it's art, stop judging me.

Now for what I learned this time around. My biggest lesson came when I spent the first 5 days trying to write concept songs, struggling, then scrambling to get all the songs recorded in 2 days. (Track 8 I'll admit was written months ago, but fit the concept too well to omit). In my opinion, not giving enough time to the recording, mixing, mastering process is the biggest drawback due to not de-essing, losing the beat often, keeping terrible first takes, etc.

Ok, gear. So after leaving BSU last year, and having yet to upgrade my personal studio to anything resembling professional, I decided to go the opposite direction, attempting to get decent sound out of the least amount of gear. My set up: a laptop, garageband (GB), acoustic & electric guitar. That's it. No preamps, no mics (except the onboard mic on the laptop). GB drums, GB loops, GB effects. With all that said, I think the songs make acceptable demos, but nothing more.

I don't know. What do you guys think? Can't wait to listen to everyone else's stuff, the best part of Record Time in my opinion.

Todd Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment