Monday, October 10, 2011

The Morning After

So, it's the next day.
I finished editing/recording at about 11:45.
converting to mp3s at 11:59.
Submission at 12:10 or so.

"The Devil & Isaak"
I. The Swamp (5:55)
II. A Meadow of Scrap Metal (1:29)
III. A Deal of Wits (3:01)
IV. Into the Complex (2:06)
V. Isaak Awakened (9:40)

And after a well deserved beer, a great nights sleep, and a fresh listen to the recording in entirety, I feel great about it. I felt like at times I had to make sacrifices. I came down with a cold this week. I had wanted to use harsh screaming vocals, as I've finally learned how to do them properly. However, after one hour of wretched sounding nasal-barks, I realized it just wasn't going to happen. So I decided, "to hell with it. instrumental time." and this ended up being a blessing. Not having to focus on lyrics made the music flow so much better. The total runtime is 22:10, which I wasn't happy about at first, but I remember parts of my last recordtime submission that drive me crazy because it was time filling material without a lot of depth. There are slow parts to this album, yes, but slimming down the time and leaving out filler material has, I think, let the riffing and crashing come through in a much heavier way.

What I'm saying is, sacrifices I had to make ended up making the album a lot stronger, and I'm proud as shit to be releasing this. I can definitely call it my heaviest, loudest, most cacophonous recording yet (though there are some pretty parts as well), and that's sick. I really really hope you all like it. I'm really looking forward to hearing everybody's work this time around, especially the newcomers to the event. I hope everyone had an awesome week.

No comments:

Post a Comment