Monday, October 17, 2011

1st batch of reviews

I'll be working through everything eventually, but here are a few to get everyone started anyway. Sorry, these aren't going to be in any particular order.

Intraphase/A Boy and His Demon - This was really creepy at parts. For real. Using sound effects to link everything together was an awesome idea, and really added to the whole storytelling aspect of this. I love how everything flows here, really. From the knock on the door and on, it never loses your interest. Gnarly solos and riffing, and I love the start-stop blastbeats on the drums towards the end. The drum and bass part around 3:30 is sick. It reminds me of Tool, especially how the bass sounds. I love how this tortured music eventually just turning into a big ball of noise before cutting away to that last piano part. Awesome work on the keyboards all throughout. Everything sounds so cinematic. Dope job, you guys.

Strange Battery/Grenadine - This is really awesome, Dan. How you manage to write all of these perfect melodies is beyond me. I didn't know music could make me miss an era I never lived in. When I lose everything and everyone, when my life is broken beyond recognition, I will listen to "Chuggin'" and still giggle like a little girl. "The Knight" & "The Princess" are just gorgeous. Thank you so much for this album. I loved every minute of it.

R. Aaron Webster/Sex Affairs of Ghosts EP - This is chaotic and crazy, but once it locks in, it's tight. I like how the drums are constantly shifting, sounding like a disco beat that transforms into a metal groove that morphs into anything it wants because go to hell. The melodies here remind me a lot of 80's era Zappa. They have that bouncy, frantic sound. This was awesome, no filler at all, just straight chaos with a nice dash of pretty right in the middle.

Sorry guys, I'm getting too tired. More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment