Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Pretty

Day 2 was a smashing success. Wrote 3 songs and even had time for a drive into town for some ice cream.

I'm at 8 songs, 14 minutes, but I'm going to cut one of the songs. It's too goofy, and the rest of the album is turning out to be very quaint and beautiful -- the song in question would take people out of it.

I wrote a weird little piece that's a cross between an Irish lament, a cowboy song, and some kind of gospel thing. I think it'll give the album a slightly modern edge, which I think it needs in order to stay interesting.

I also wrote a really straightforward ragtime song last night, which is going to require a kazoo. Anyone know where I can buy one?

The one I'm most proud of, however, is a solo piano piece, which is currently called "The Princess." It's very old-school, 1950s Disney, a little like "Once Upon a Dream." I'm actually surprised I was able to capture a sound that specific -- Disney songs are so untouchable that I never thought about what gives them that distinct sound. Turns out it's all about those diminished chords. It's only about a minute but I think it'll really add a cool touch. I tried to play it more "classically" but I'm just not that good, so it's basically just a sketch of a melody. Hmm...melody sketch...animation sketch...maybe more little themes for old cartoons? *writes that down*

I am pretty psyched about the group we have this time around -- it really seems like we might get a big bump in participation. If you recall, we had 23 albums last time around...I don't want to say I'm hoping for 30 but...I am hoping for 30.

And hey, anyone know of any good tape saturation plugins? I don't want to use a vinyl plugin, as those get old REAL fast, but something much more subtle could be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment