Thursday, October 6, 2011

Double Digits

Hit the 10 song mark today. It's looking like it will be 13 songs, but strangely enough only 20 minutes or so. I'd like these songs to be polished, even though several of them are solo piano or piano and vocal.

I didn't do any work last night, on account of the girlfriend's birthday. Today I decided it would be a good idea to do something like the whistling part of Steamboat Willie.



I sort of did it...just made a little 45 second instrumental. Might cut it because it's sort of worthless as it is now...but once I try some more instruments I might change my mind.

I actually ran into an interesting situation on my last song tonight. It's gorgeous, probably one of the best melodies I've written. It was meant as a sort of Disney ballad, a la "When You Wish Upon a Star," but turned into something totally different. The only problem is, it's just one verse, and only about 1:04. It's absolutely screaming to be made into a 4-5 minute song, and it would be easy, as it's just piano. To have it end where it does is just heartbreaking, and my mom is gonna be pissed. But I think it'll add a really weird intensity to the end of the album.

Did I mention this is gonna be a weird album? I'm honestly not sure what this one says about me. Like my kids' album last year, I don't think I've really heard anything like what I'm making. Probably because I decided to parody a style I have no idea how to write or play in. This album is making me feel weird. Long live Record Time.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to hear this, Dan. Your submission last year was wildly creative, so I've got some pretty high expectations, haha. I bet it will be some of the most fun music created this week.

    ReplyDelete