Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Drums??...more like...DONES!

After a repaired kick drum head, exchanging a shabby snare batter head with my rack tom head, and what seemed like endless revisits to get my kick pedal feeling right, I finished 3 drum tracks tonight. I have to admit that I feel a bit rusty on the drums, as I have been primarily playing guitar for the past year or so...

But, I think all the tracks groove really well, and there's nothing more satisfying than hearing a nice rhythm holding down the fort.

I was able to mic my drum kit in only two places due to my lack of recording resources. I have an sm57 as an overhead, and some kind of "who knows what" kind of mic about 3 ft. directly in front of the kick drum. This setup has typically served me well to get a nice round, lively sound, out of my kit. So, if you're in a jam, only have 2 microphones to work with, I recommend this configuration. Maybe someone has a better alternative, but I've been satisfied with this method.

Although not all the gear in this picture is being used, I snapped a picture of my recording lair. It's fun to see what people have to work with. I'm fortunate enough to have a rehearsal space where I can go and work on things without disturbing the neighbors!


3 comments: