Sunday, October 9, 2011

Dooooone!

Done and sent!

I didn't get quite as much done as I had originally wanted, but for the amount of time, I'm pleased with the quantity and quality. I got a total of 4 "songs" completed. 3/4 have vocals with one electronic piece. The songs really pushed me hard. When I write I think/hear more textures and timbres. Even when I listen to other songs, the lyrics are NOT what I'm listening to. The chords, synths, instruments and how the voices are meshing are what draw me. It isn't until the 4th or 5th time listening to something that I even hear the lyrics. So, my process of writing music and then lyrics was a bit odd. My music tends to have odd phrases and structures that don't lend themselves to lyrics.

I'm really proud of "One Last." I sang the main 9 part harmonies and my wife sang the lead on top. The harmonies were processed like crazy with waves tune (mainly to mask my awful singing, but also to give it the autotune effect) then sent to an INSANELY HUGE reverb. Very Ethereal sounding. I beefed up my "oohs" with some tenor samples from the EWQL choir library. Some synths, subtle guitar... purty.

I also particularly like my instrumental. It didn't take me long and it's somewhat cliche, but that's the point. It's my "tribute" to On the Run by Pink Floyd.

I noticed that my lyrics are a little deep/political... Mostly about corrupt politicians and businessmen.

Secrets is about how the government/business wants you to tell them everything about yourself and give them your hard earned money while promising you things they never deliver on.

On the Edge uses samples from the Occupy Wall Street movement, along with some anti-war, and anti-big business protests from around the world. (Also a reversed cell phone conversation my wife and I had). The piece is basically about how we're on the edge of a collapse.

Shake your windows is about the inner struggle we all face day to day. It's pretty self explanatory and was one of the easier songs to sing/write.

One Last deals with death and what might happen when we die. It was a little morbid though. The day after I wrote it I learned of Steve Jobs death.

No comments:

Post a Comment