Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Nick's Reviews

What's up all,

First off - many thanks to Dan for continuing to challenge artists to do what we do best and CREATE. Record Time forces me to grow musically and allows me to walk away with something I'm proud of.

Secondly - congratulations to everyone who participated!

Here's a few thoughts on a few albums that have caught my ear so far:

Strange Battery - Grenadine
Dan, you managed to have me thinking, "damn, why didn't I think of doing a Neo-Vaudville album, complete with kazoos and tap-dance solos." This continues to show your versatility. Beautiful melodies... beautiful harmonies... just really fun and well thought-out. "Mabel and Me" is really bittersweet. Not sure who's perspective it's written from - probably her husband?... makes me think of my grandmother, though! I dig that it's open to interpretation. Overall, great stuff man, really enjoy it.

Autumn Bluff - Lovesick Lullaby
I really dig this tune, man. Came off a bit plastic and canned to me at first, but the vocal's got soul and confidence. Sounds like Justin Timberlake was hangin out with Boyz II Men and then called Snow up to rap the last verse (all in a good way!). Great job, sounds professional and clean, and I've enjoyed coming back to it.

Eric Sherman - Tongue-Tied & Twisted and Other Favourites
Really cool album. "Mary-Ann Is Having A Baby" is my favorite. Great vocals and harmonies. Could use a bit of EQing and compression to clear things up, but that's all part of the charm. Overall, great stuff, man... consistent tunes, great vibe.

clock systeme - droides
Love the piece! Super fun to listen to and really addicting. Shows a great prowess with sampling, MIDI, etc etc. How did you create and/or find the voices? I love the guy's voice... sounds like John Lennon with a Transylvanian accent. Dig the typing sounds... like you're typing into Microsoft Sam before each line haha.

Jonathan and Jason - RTVII
First tune is touching and well-executed. Great harmonies, cool synth parts in the end. Totally lost me with the second tune, though. Comes off kinda satirical to me, and I don't think that's what you're goin for...? Either way, good job and congrats.

That's all I got for now. Good job again to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment