Thursday, September 29, 2011

Oh herro.

Dan here. Figured I'd write a bit about my current RT plans, as I'm gonna be busy for the next few days!

This time around, I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible. As with last time, I've got about a 3-hour window each night of the week, plus two full weekend days.

As some of you may know, I'm currently working on a musical, which has been an absolute blast. It really emphasizes all of the things I look for in music -- great vocal melodies, great lyrics, and a sense of humor. I've always enjoyed musicals, and have even written a couple ridiculous ones, but I'm only starting to realize that this might be where my skills are taking me. Maybe not, who knows.

But in writing it, the one thing I've enjoyed most is playing and writing at the piano. I write everything out on staff paper, and don't have to touch a computer until the song is done. For RT7, I decided I would record a piano trio album, so I could focus on the songwriting rather than recording aspect.

Coincidentally, I've been getting into really old-timey music, especially vaudeville stuff from the 1910s, as well as pop from the 30s and 40s and early brass band jazz. On top of that, there's my new obsession with the Sherman Brothers, who wrote the music for a lot of old Disney movies, as well as the music for Disneyland itself.

So I guess my idea is a sort of neo-vaudeville-Disneyland album, but I'm sure it will turn into something much more strange. I'm trying to steer away from another "kids" album, but it'll be hard to write anything but the most innocent lyrics to this stuff. I also plan on taking a stab at some barbershop quartet.

So hopefully this will be a stress-free album recording-wise...just piano, drums, and bass. I've also got a new tube mic, so hopefully I can get a slightly vintage feel. My voice doesn't fit the style AT ALL, which will hopefully make it interesting and not terrible.

So that's the concept thus far...we'll see how long it lasts!

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment